If it makes you laugh or inspires you-that's great. If it confuses you-that's probably normal. If it puts you to sleep-don't read it (especially while driving or operating heavy machinery)...it is more a personal outlet for myself, in a far from serious, light hearted format. I'm not going out of my way to promote this, nor am I raising money. Posts may come three times a week or three times a season. If a byproduct of you reading this is D-grade entertainment, then forget about your other forms of D-grade entertainment (old colouring-in books, Yo Ho Diablo's and Britney Spears CDs) and feel free to subscribe, share or stop by every once in awhile.

Thursday 5 December 2013

The unstoppable, unpleasant, unwanted occurrence known a GINTEN

Disclaimer: this post is not exactly classy, and if you prefer not to read about poop, maybe you should skip this one or read another post. Here is one that mentions the word poop less than three times. If you don’t mind some toilet humour writing…you are in the right place!

Shit happens. Whether it Forrest Gump coined that phrase, or it was the Italians back in the 1700’s when they said “le shit le happens”, we can never really be sure of, but we all know it’s true. And unfortunately for runners, sometimes you just get it has to happen midrun. We’ve all been there. (Or maybe we all haven’t…if you haven’t, I have been there enough for all of us so don’t worry). You are zipping along at a nice pace, listening to your favourite music, nothing could be better…and then all of sudden you think “Geez I Need To Excrete Now”…or if you prefer short form- GINTEN. In fact, we’ll just call acting on that impulse a GINTEN, to keep it PG-rated. Anyone that’s run with me, or listened to me talk about running will know, a good ol’ GINTEN gets the best of me on just about any run longer 10 minutes an hour. It’s my Achilles heel if you will. Some runners look at focusing on improving their speed, others their endurance, and they will do specific workouts to target their weakness. Me, I need to somehow work on avoiding the curse of GINTEN, and I’m just not sure how to train for that. Sure I need to improve my pace, endurance, hills, and all sorts of stuff as well but those don’t leave me with my pants around my ankles.
Now when you are trail running, it almost comes with the territory…you can duck off through the trees, off the path and GINTEN your little heart out, with an abundance of natural TP (leaves) at your disposal. When it’s a Canadian winter the natural TP becomes snow, which as you can imagine, leaves you with a chilly bum for the remainder of the run. But when you’re out running on the roads, it’s a bit of a different story. You are left with your head buzzing with a million different options, none of them very good.
Do I wait til there’s no cars, and go for the super speedy sneaky GINTEN?
Do I go behind that house over there and hope no-ones home?
Do I just forget about all the worries and do the there-for-the-whole-world-to-see GINTEN?
There is no way you can continue enjoying a nice run when these are the immediate thoughts and this is THE priority in your head.
I mention all of this, because less than two weeks ago, I got caught GINTENing.
It was a chilly Monday morning in Goderich, and I’d found a new patch of bushland and new there was a looped trail in there somewhere. So off I went. Within a few minutes of setting off through the thick pine and cedar trees, it was not only the cold that made me want to crawl back into the warm comforts of the car, it was my gut-it was hintin’ for a GINTEN. I thought about giving in to the urge, then and there at only 1km into the run. I thought about stopping my watch and perhaps starting over again once I’d made myself a bit lighter. I thought about why people don’t say “world wide web” yet say the three times as long “double u, double u, double u” when speaking of a website. And by the time I’d thought of all these things, I’d complete one loop of the 3km trail and was back to where I’d begun, in sight of the car park where the car was.
I waddled to the car, trying not to look like hippo about to give birth to a brown hippo baby and grabbed some tissues. As I headed back toward the trailhead to find some cover, I saw there were now two cars that weren’t there when I started, which presumably meant there were at least two people using the trail. I now had two options of where to drop a GINTEN…left or right. I picked right, since I’d just come from the left and hadn’t passed anyone on my anti-clockwise route, and figured that the new trail users must have also gone the same way. Knowing that it was such a short loop and time was of the essence, I picked my spot a few metres off the path and did what had to be done. Midway through, I heard a voice…”Sammy!”. “Sammy come back here!”
As it turns out, Sammy was a big slobbering German Shepherd with a keen nose for pooping runners. She followed her nose towards me and just about bowled me over as I was mid-GINTEN. With Sammy vying for my attention, I hastily finished up my biz, and returned those few metres back to the trail and put on a sheepish smile as Sammy’s middle aged owner looked at me with a confused look on her face. In what was an extremely awkward exchange, I said hello, and she continued to look at me like I’d just come out of the bushes with her dog while having my pants down. (Which, I guess was technically true). She continued on her way toward the trail entrance, and I pretended to started jogging the other way, but instead of feeling wonderful, light and ready to run post-GINTEN, I felt weird (and still extremely cold), so called it a day, trotted back to the warmth of the car. I drove back home, where I could poop in the privacy of my own bathroom, without the risk of being interrupted by a German Shepherd.
 
Fail...I dumped
 
 
 
I thought the bush was thick enough cover...apparently not for Sammy
 
Maybe this book isn't as stupid as it sounds
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment